Thursday, May 29, 2008

Talking What?!?!

Hi everyone…

Last week during my UIR lesson, we did yet another fun activity and that was to go to
TalkingCock.com website and evaluate it based on the criterion that I was taught in my previous lessons. Also we were made to do a role play such as being either the prime minister, Singaporean or foreigner and describe how we would react to this website.

So as for the evaluation, I think that this website is rather interesting. It has lots of information regarding various topics such as politics and business. However the information contained in them are fictitious and we should not depend on any facts stated in them. The websites also has links to other pages such as forums and features to enable us to view even more entries on the various topics. It also has a search facility which I found to be very useful. The website belongs to the TalkingCock.com itself, however it was last updated on 2003. It also has some means of communication such as through email which would enable me to contact them should I have anything to enquire about. The website was quite accessible as it required no registration and the navigation around the website was simple. Presentation wise, all the contents and tabs were arranged neatly on the screen. The menu bar on the top of the screen is like the summary of the various headings there are, while the index on the left side of the screen shows some of the sub topics within the heading itself. Overall it has been an entertaining and website.

As for the role play, my row was made to play the role of the Prime Minister. So I was supposed to put myself in the shoes of a Prime Minister and describe my views on the website. Well firstly I would be rather discontented with the website and its contents. As a Prime Minister, it makes me feel as if I am not going a good job and that this website is the only way that the people can express their feelings about the government. Also it makes me feel as if they are not being serious about what is happening in Singapore and just continue to mock at the whole serious situation.

Well as for the role of a Singaporean, I think that the website is like some sort of a medium to enable people to express their views without being known and criticized at. Since Singapore is a country where some sort of freedom of speech is allowed, I think that it is rather interesting to read about the various topics without having to worry about anything.

As for the role of a foreigner, I would firstly feel very weird at the fact that there are people making fun of their own country and posting it up on websites such as this TalkingCock.com. It makes me have a very bad impression on Singaporeans despite being a cosmopolitan country. It makes me wonder whether the majority of Singaporeans are like that or not.

So below is the screen shot of the TalkingCock.com which I was made to evaluate:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home