Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wonders of Internet.......

Last week, while doing my practical for my uir lesson, I learnt that there are actually three different search facilities that we can use to enhance the output of results of whatever we might be finding for. The three search facilities are Search engine, the Meta search engine and Subject directory. Before this lesson I didn’t even know that such facilities ever existed, well except for the search engine of cause. But other than that I didn’t know about the other 2. So while experimenting with these search facilities, I actually came to realize the benefits of each individual facility.

Like for example, the search engine would just give you all the results pertaining to the keywords typed in the textbox. Whereas for the Metasearch its actually passes the keyword to the other search engine and output the results. On the other hand, the Subject Directory outputs results that a re categorized according to the keyword typed.

I also learnt other ways that I can enhance the output of the results that I want. I learnt how to use Booleans such as AND, OR and NOT to find my results in a much more effective ways. Just by adding them to the keywords, it does make a significant difference to the outputs being displayed. So in future, I am going to use these Booleans to enhance my research.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home